But no matter what, as the CMO, your core task remains the same: communicating the value of your company, both externally and internally. How do you keep from losing sight of that goal when everything is up in the air?
Focus on your customers.
It’s just that simple —and just that complicated.
In today’s marketing environment, creating a strong digital presence is one of the most powerful ways to engage your customer base and connect with prospects. There are multiple platforms to choose from, depending on where your audience spends time, and there’s a digital strategy to fit every organization.
But even so, I still meet CMOs who say they’re not ready to “go digital.”
That’s a mistake because, rest assured, today’s consumers are ready. You may choose to hang back. But, they aren’t … and they won’t hesitate to talk about you (for better or for worse).
Why is NOW the time to make digital marketing a priority? For starters:
- It works. Period. Whether you’re a small or medium business seeing an uptick in revenue because you focused on social media or a longtime men’s grooming brand seeing a 107% spike because of a YouTube campaign that became a viral hit or a women’s clothing brand that became a billion-dollar success in no small part because of word-of-mouth online or a brick-and-mortar electronics store seeing serious mobile conversions . . . well, digital marketing is making great things happen across channels and across industries.
- Your customers are there. And they’re talking about you. They might be telling the world you broke their guitar or that you’ve got rats in your restaurant. But if you’re not there to respond, their voices are only going to get louder.
- You like saving money, right? Good. Digital marketing can help you find breathing room in your budget —or even reduce it altogether.
- It offers greater agility. How agile? Just ask the folks from Oreo about how agile social media allows them to be.
- The tools for testing, tracking and measuring are available . . . and they’re getting better all the time. Even titans like Google are focusing on improving their tools—which makes your job easier!
- It’s actually pretty fun sometimes. Need proof? Spend a bit of time reading the Zappos service team’s Twitter account, and you’ll see what I mean –and Zappos’ customers are having a good time right back.
- Frankly, you don’t have a choice anymore. That may sound harsh, but that doesn’t make it any less true.
It’s never too late to plan and implement a smart digital strategy—but the more time you spend putting it off, the more opportunities you’re missing out on. Digital marketing can make your customers happier, your employees more efficient, your budgets less scary and your job easier.
So what are you waiting for?